On Friday, an electrician installed a new fixture to replace the ceiling fan in the dining room. It's not quite right. Actually, I hate it. :( I'll have to choose a different one.
The electrician also installed a bathroom light/fan in place of the empty box in the ceiling. That didn't go quite right. The duct isn't long enough to reach the roof, so the fan exhausts the air into the attic. (Maybe that's why the previous homeowners never finished installing a fan.) I'll have to hire someone to run a new duct.
In addition, the new light isn't quite big enough to cover the (badly cut) existing hole. I'll have to patch the ceiling.
But the light/fan looks nice, and it's great having additional light in the bathroom. :)
So I bought a smaller version of my first choice fixture and installed it myself. That didn't go quite right. The mounting plate would not work with my outlet box. Luckily I was able to use the mounting plate from the fixture I'd just removed.
With the fixture finally attached to the wall, I added the glass globes. That didn't go quite right. The globes are too short to cover the light bulbs. I'll have to get different globes.
I'll also need to repair and paint the portion of the wall which was behind the old fixture.
|new (still needs globes, of course)|
In the midst of all the not-going-quite-right events, inspiration hit unexpectedly.
When I unpacked the second-choice vanity light fixture, I saw that the glass globes used the same kind of plastic nut attachment as IKEA light cords, several of which I had bought but never used because I didn't like any of IKEA's shades.
The globes fit the IKEA cords, and I decided to hang three of them on existing hooks in the dining room ceiling. That didn't go quite right. The hooks were ancient, and snapped off when I touched them. Fortunately, replacement hooks were easily attached.
I wanted to plug the lights into a power strip with a switch so I could easily turn them on and off. That didn't go quite right. The cord from the furthest light was too short to allow the power strip to sit on my desk.
As a second option, I decided to plug the lights into a "magical" outlet controlled by a switch. That didn't go quite right. The outlet is on the other side of the room - typical - and the 15-foot extension cord I had on hand wasn't long enough. Purchase of a longer cord solved the problem.
The lights are almost directly over the dining room table, providing plenty of light exactly where I need it. Perfect! :D The cords are visible, and the switch is across the room, but I can live with that for now.
Now I can look for a replacement overhead fixture without having to consider light output as the main criteria. I should be able to install it myself... though it won't go right the first time.